Obtain a Permit
Open-Air Burn Permit
View the following documents to find out how to obtain an open-air burn permit:
- Burn Permits are available online (see Burn Permit link in left hand column). They also may be obtained at Charlton Fire Headquarters, 10 Power Station Road, if you do not have internet access, between the hours of 9am - 5pm from January 15, 2022 through April 30, 2022. Fee - $20.00, Cash or Check, made payable to "Town of Charlton".
- Massachusetts DEP Information on Open Burning
Propane Storage Tank Permit
- Obtain a Propane Storage Tank Permit (PDF)
- See Permit Fee Schedule above to determine appropriate fee for total gallons of tank.
Oil Burning Equipment Install
Find the applications for Oil Burning:
- Form 1 Permit Application (PDF) (Installation or Alteration of Fuel Oil Burning Equipment or Storage of Fuel Oil)
- Form 1A Permit Application (PDF) (Fuel Supply Line Certificate of Compliance)
Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Certificates
In the state of Massachusetts a smoke and carbon monoxide detection certificate is required upon sale or transfer of residential property. View a guide to the Massachusetts Smoke and CO Requirements.
In addition to these requirements, it is required to have the house number mounted and clearly visible on a contrasting colored background on the home. If the number is not visible from the road, then a number must also be mounted at the end of the driveway, typically on the mailbox. There is a $50 Fee for the certificate and a check can be made payable to the “Town of Charlton.” Further questions, can be directed to the Fire Inspector at 508-248-2278.