Contact Info

Cemetery Commission
37 Main Street
Charlton, MA 01507
P: 508-248-2208
F: 508-248-2392
Email

Office Hours

By appointment only.

Meetings

1st Monday of the month at 4:30 in the lower level meeting room at Town Hall

Agenda
Minutes

Cemetery Commission Directory

Staff
James Burlingame
Cemetery Superintendent
508-294-7296 (cell)

Elected Board Members
Kristen Russell-May, Chair
Donna Neylon, Clerk
Jason Sciarappa, Member
Cemetery Commission

Cemeteries in Charlton, MA
Source: Reverend Anson Titus
compiled for the 1875 Centennial


Cemeteries.

The early settlers of Charlton were not rich but hard working. They came from "down the coast" while full of young life and blood to encounter the labors of the frontier. It is not at all strange that they put much of their time upon the soil they were tilling. In regard to the bural places of their dead Whittier, in his poem, The old Burying ground," spoke general truth.

"The dreariest spot in all the land
To death they set apart.
With scanty grace from nature's hand,
And none at all from art."

We find many private burial places scattered over our town. The people had not the money for extensive outlays upon graves. Headstones with inscriptions were in frequent among the poor and striving, and all were such. So we find but very few inscriptions prior to 1800. This is easily accounted for: it was not because they did not have a mind to honor the places of their dead, but because they did not have the manes. The wealthier ones of the community, as they should, did something to indicate the places, but even this remark has many exceptions. Even those abundantly able were neglectful in this matter. The earliest recorded burial we find to be in 1744, the first one in Dresser Hill yard. There were, without a doubt, earlier burials in other yards, for this town, then a portion of Oxford, began to be settled some years before this date.

INDIAN HILL BURIAL PLACE

We mention this at the outset because of the aborigines who lived here before the white people. This hill is opposite of the residence of Elisha Darling. There have been from time to time evidences in the shape of Indian tools found, telling use of their haunts in various parts of the town. Well-authenticated tradition points to this hill as their burial place. It is a pretty, gracefully shaped knoll, and one which they would be likely to select. There have been no Indians residing here to speak of, since the French war; hence this burial p[lace, if such it was, has hardly been used since the settling of our town. On the farm of Elisha Darling, on the east side of Prospect Hill, is the ruin of a very ancient cellar, which tradition says was the hut of an Indian. It is in his woods, some twenty-five rods from the railroad. In the middle of the excavation there is a large chestnut tree. A large split rock is near by.

THE McINTIRE CEMETERY

Few may know of this burial place in Charlton. It is but a few rods in the rear of the house of R. B. Dodge, Esq., on the land now owned by Frank L. Horn, and in early times was owned by Obediah McIntire, from whom we infer it received this local name. The families in this section a hundred years ago were mostly McIntires which fact may add the name still stronger. There are some thirty graves at this spot, from which we infer it was a public burial place. There is now upon it a young growth of timber - the second since the burials and the third since the first cleaing unless the bodies were buried in the woods. The underbrush is at this time so dense that it was with difficult that we found the location. These graves are simply marked with rough headstones without any inscription whatever, of name, age or date. This cemetery we can rightfully count among the oldest of the town. The McIntire families were among the very earliest settlers in this community, and without doubt used this in those early times. In only a few more years vestiges of it will be gone, if nothing is done by the town to mark this resting place of some its founders.

There is also a tomb upon this same far, in the rear of Mr. Horn's house, on the summit of McIntire Hill. It must have been built prior this century. It contains several bodies. When the farm was owned by Varanus Johnson, a few years since, for private gratification he repaired the tomb some at his own expense. It will have to be repaired again at no distant day. In the absence of all known relatives, it would be an honorable task for the town to take it in charge.

THE CRANBERRY MEADOW YARD
(Cranberry Meadow Cemetery)

This yard was originally the burial place of four or five families in its neighborhood. It is situated in the west road to Spencer from Charlton Depot., and is a little over a mile from the depot. The north boundary of the yard is the town line between Spencer and Charlton. The land when it began as a burial place belonged to one David Hammond. It afterwards passed into the hands of his son-in-law, Simon Ward. The families for most part buried here are those of Charles Lab. Simon Ward, Ebenezer White, and Reuben Newhall. We understand that Mr. Hammond gave the right of burial after it had been used for a long number of years as a cemetery, if these neighbors would put a wall around it. There never was much done to the lots until about 1830, when the wall was erected and a number of stones placed at the heads of the graves. Previous to this time there were no headstones, except the common flat field stones. The earliest marked grave denotes 1803, but we think that prior to that time there were burials. At present there are some 22 headstones, and are visible something like a dozen unmarked graves. Among the number of unmarked graves are those of the original donor of the land, and his wife. The yard is surrounded with pine wood and is enclosed with a stone wall. There are pine trees not a few within the enclosure. In this yard are buried Ebenezer White, who died in 1813; he was one of the early Baptists in town, and had an active influence in sustaining his church at the North Side; Charles Lamb, died in 1843 at the age of 74; Reuben Newhall, died in 1858 at the age of 88.

THE MAJOR DANIEL WILLIAMS LOT

This is pleasantly situated on the west side of the reservoir between the Depot and City on land for a long time owned by Major Williams, and now owned by the Hammond brothers. It was made a burial place in 1791, on the death of a young daughter. This was the only grave here for nearly fifty years, when the Major and his wife were buried. The headstone records that Mr. Williams died July 6, 1838, aged 79 years, and that his wife, Marcy, died February 8, 1843, aged 75 years. Major Williams was a public spirited man and did much to encourage the schools of our town. He was a great friend of the youth, and is aid to have frequently given many new copper cents to the boys and girls who proved worthy by study and deportment. This gift, though small in value, is still remembered by our older citizens. This burial place is surrounded with a good wall and nothing is about it to mar the mind in its contemplation.

THE HARVLIN TOWNE YARD
(Depot Cemetery)

The Harvlin Town Yard is near the Depot towards the City, in a small clump of pine trees. There is a tomb within the well enclosed yard, and has been kept in good repair. In the tomb are the remains of Mr. and Mrs. Towne. And nearby are the graves of Daniel Williams and his wife Mary and their daughter Polly Williams, who died in 1875. Mr. and Mrs. Williams were the parents of Mrs. Towne, Daniel Williams died in 1815, and was first buried on the west side of the road towards the City from the tomb, a few rods up the side hill. When this yard was made his remains were removed.

Mr. Towne was station agent at the Depot from the time the railroad was built (1839) until his death (1869). He was also post-master, express agent, etc., which brought him much in contact with the people. In these positions he seems to have given satisfaction, if one is to judge by the length of service.

THE PUTNEY YARD
(Barefoot Cemetery)

This yard is generally known as Barefoot Corner cemetery, and is in school district No. 10. The original owner of the land was Jonathan Putney, who gave the right of burial to his several neighbors, using it also for his own family. Mr. Putney died in 1814; the estate was then divided, the homestead falling to Mrs. Jacob Miller, who a few years after the death of Mr. Miller (1817) married George West. The Putneys, the Millers, the Wests and Searles are buried here, and are in one way and another relations of each other. The oldest marked grave is 1807. There are nearly on hundred graves yet only about fifty of them have headstones.

The Miller and West families have erected a fine monument here which will be for a memorial of their families. In this yard there was, a half century ago, erected a tomb by three families who resided in that vicinity. The owners of this tomb were Elijah and Elnathan McIntire (cousins), and Nathaniel Brown. Their families were placed in it until some over twenty bodies were within the tomb, when the descendants of Elnathan McIntire took the remains of their relatives out and buried them near by. The others still remain, and without a doubt will soon be buried and the tomb which for a long time has been in a decaying state will be taken down and the placed leveled away.

In 1835 Mrs. George West, a daughter of Mr. Putney, the original owner, gave a deed of this lot of 116 rods of land to the town, with the right of way from it to the highway. Jonathan Putney was in the revolutionary war and came into this town on its close, from Salem. Nathaniel Burden, whose body was buried in the tomb, was also in the revolutionary war, and drew a pension from the government in his age. He died in 1849 at the extreme age of 97.

THE HARVEY DRESSER YARD
(Blood Cemetery)

On Dresser Hill, but a short distance from the Old Dresser homestead, is the burial yard of Harvey Dresser and family. Harvey Dresser died February 8, 1835, aged 46 years; his widow died a little over a year after, and they were soon followed by two sons and a daughter, who had nearly reached man and womanhood. The Dresser monument is of marble with an urn on nits pinnacle. On this monument are the inscriptions of the family. In the same lot is the grave of Major Jerry Merritt, a brother of Mrs. Dresser, who had been in partnership with Mr. Dresser some fourteen years. He was the son of Captain Henry Merritt, and died in 1835, aged 39 years.

Harvey Dresser is still remembered in this community. He was an active, public spirited man. He engaged extensively in manufacturing wagons, chaises, etc., on Dresser Hill. In that day there was a large business carried on in that vicinity, but even in his last years the business was moving away to the water power of Southbridge and the large manufactories of Worcester. Mr. Dresser once owned a large factory in Southbridge. A brief sketch of his life is given in Ammidown's Historical Sketches, Vol. 2, also an engraving of him. This yard is in good order; the fence is of iron with stone posts. The heed of this burial lot is in the possession of Henry Willis, a nephew of Harvey Dresser, now living in Shelburne Falls, Mass.

THE FITTS BURIAL YARD.

This yard is in school district No. 6, toward a mile south of the school house on the road past the Advent church, on the old Caleb Fitts homestead, now owned by Jeremiah Haggerty. It is the burial lot of Caleb Fitts, together with some relatives and neighbors. The lot is about 30 by 50 feet, and some twenty-five rods from the road, opposite of the house. It contains thirteen graves, five of which are marked from that time that it was laid out. It is well surrounded by a stone wall, but trees and bushes have grown up, owing to the moving away of those most interested. Those stones marked show that buried here are Caleb Fitts, who died February 5, 1841, aged 85 years, (his son Caleb was buried at Charlton center); Rachel, wife of Caleb Fitts, (her maiden name was Patch), died November 14, 1831, aged 68 years; Tryphena Hall, died September 16, 1861, aged 86 years; Altheusia, wife of Otis Darling, a daughter of Mrs. Tryphena Hall, died December 1, 1866, aged 56 years; Lois, wife of Stephen Belknap, (a sister of Mrs. Fitts), died May 17, 1845, aged 91 years; this stone was erected by Timothy Chase of Belfast, Maine, a son by a previous marriage. Among those whose graves are unmarked, we understand, one is a Leonard Fitts, and another a Theodore Hall, who was drowned in one of the ponds of the town.

THE MIXER BURIAL YARD

The Mixter homestead is the house now owned and occupied by Albert Stevens. The Mixter property is possessed by several in that neighborhood. The burial place of the family is some ten rods from the house, back a little from the road. It is enclosed by a wall and some trees are in the enclosure. There are three headstones marking four graves, and there are some six graves unmarked. On one stone is inscribed, Mr. Ezra Mixter died December 30, 1829, aged 75 years; Azurbale, his wife, died March 3, 1816, aged 58 years. The remaining two stones mark the resting place of Rufus Mixter, Esq., and his first wife. They are inscribed, Rufus Mixter died March 19, 1845, aged 61 years; Anna, wife of Rufus Mixter, died March 29, 1821, aged 22 years. The remaining graves, without doubt, are members of the early families. Rufus Mixter, Esq., was a prominent man in town affairs, holding many official positions with credit to himself and the town.

THE JOSEPH MARTIN YARD

The Joseph Martin farm is on the road leading south, just this side of Buffinsville, something like a half mile. In the yard upon this farm there are but two graves, children of Joseph and Mary Martin, who died in 1827 and 1830 respectively. There is a tombstone at each grave. These graves are to the northeast of the ancient house in an open meadow, some fifteen rods from the road.

THE CHASE BURIAL PLACE

This burial place is on the farm now owned by John Davis, known as the Fletcher Farm, a mile south of Parker School House on the Dudley Road. It is some seventy-five rods from the road, back of the house, and some five rods from an arm of the Baker Pond, upon a slight knoll of ground. This description is given, and should any one try to find it even with this, he would have to look sharp or he would miss…..it is now and has been for long years, rotted down. The mounds are almost obliterated which should go to show that it was over a burial place. From inspection we should say it was eighteen feet square and contains some five graves. These graves are of members of the Chase family, who were among the early settlers of Charlton. From the information we can gain we would say that Eleazer Chase and wife, their son Timothy, who lost his leg in the Revolutionary war; and two children of this Timothy Chase, were those buried at this place. The dates of their death we have not learned, nor their ages, but they must have died previous to this century. Just over the town line in Dudley is a Chase burial place, whom, we infer, were the children of this Eleazer Chase. In the deeds given of this place there is a reservation of this plot of ground, but in only a few more years and all traces of it will pass from view.

THE CAPT. JONATHAN TUCKER YARD

This burial place is on the Spencer road leading north from Millward school house some ten rods from the highway. In this yard there are but two graves, one in memory of Mrs. Martha, wife of Capt. Jonathan Tucker, who died Nov. 23, 1774, aged 64 years. Nearby is that of Capt. Tucker, though there is no marked headstone. The flat is surrounded by a wall with two pine trees within it. Capt. Tucker was a man or prominence in town. He was chairman of the selectmen for some years after that section called the "gore" was definitely fixed to the town.

THE CAPT. JESSE SMITH YARD

This yard was formerly a part of the Jesse Smith property now owned by Wm. D. Warren, and is a few rods from the highway leading to Rochdale, near the junction of the road leading to Mr. Warren's house. Capt. Smith gave the yard to the town in 1826, not long before he died. Mr. Smith died June 21, 1826, aged 68 years, and his widow died in 1848. Capt. Smith was a soldier of the revolution. Their remains together with the remains of his mother are within a well sealed tomb upon this land. At a former time there were many burials here, but one after another the bodies have been removed so that now but a few remain, and some of these are soon to be removed. The poor of the town whose remains are unclaimed by the relatives have been buried in one portion of the yard, since it came in possession of the land.

This Capt. Smith's family had no children of their own, so they brought up one Jesse Smith Warren who was heir to the estate, and in turn our esteemed citizen, Wm. S. Warren, received it from his father. Capt. Smith at one time gave a bell to the church at the North-side, on the present site of the school-house, then occupied by the Baptists and Universalists. This bell was cracked on one occasion and was re-cast; which bell is still in use by the school at that place. Mr. Smith also gave a generous donation of the Millward school district of $1000, the interest to be used for repairing the building and for giving extra schooling to the youth of that district. It has been enjoyed by the youth for half-century and no doubt has done much benefit.

CHARLTON CITY YARD
(Union Cemetery)

The Charlton City yard is a proprietary one. The citizens in that locality felt the need of a new yard just before the war, hence they united together for the purpose of purchasing land and laying out lots. The company at the outset composed of twenty-eight citizens, was organized May 20, 1856 into the Charlton City Union Cemetery company under the law passed in legislature March 17, 1841. Simeon Lab, Esq., as justice of peace called the meeting and gave legality to the same. Simeon Lab, Esq, was the moderator of the meeting and has been of every annual meeting with one exception. Washington W. White was made secretary of the company, which office he has held to the present time. On the forming of the company, land was purchased of Nathan Walker, and soon laid out into lots under the direction of the trustees. When the company was well under way they answered to the call of the public in building a vault. This tomb was erected by one Horace Prince in 1859. For the first year or two Francis Ryan acted as sexton, since then however, that office has been filled by Seth Carpenter. In 1864 the company received by the will of Benj. Wallis, the sum of $300 to be used in beautifying the place. The company is well organized, and it is for its members to make a beautiful yard. It can be done, but will take means and labor to do it. The members of it can well afford it. It will abundantly repay in only a few years. The public have very generously patronized this cemetery and it needs but a public spirit to advance its interest farther. The first burials in this yard were the bodies of Waldo Walis, and a Miss Thayer, who were interred the same day. In 1869 a new fence was built about the yard which added much to the appearance of the place. The meetings of the corporation have ever been held in the vestry of the Methodist church. An accurate survey of the yard was made in 1872 by R. B. Dodge, Esq. In perusing the records of the corporation we find that many have neglected their financial obligations to it. This ought not to be; if a lot is taken, the lot should be paid for and a deed given, taken and recorded the same as in other business transactions. The corporation no doubt would be ill thought of if they prosecuted their claims once in a while, but self-protection may call for it in time. The following is the list of trustees for the present year: Simeon Lamb, David R. Dodge, Erastus Winslow, Jonas Bemis, Elijah R. Carpenter, Jeremiah Newton, Charles D. White. The following are the By-Laws of the City Union Cemetery Company….

DRESSER HILL PUBLIC YARD

This yard is one of the oldest in the town. Through the thoughtfulness of an older citizen we are permitted to know the exact date of its beginning as a repose for the dead. The first grave was that of James, a young son of Lieut. John Dresser who died in May, 1745. Lieut. Dresser gave the right of burial in this lot to his neighbors. The stone which is placed at the head of the first grave was placed by one Aaron Dresser, a great grandson of the original donor, who knew the place of burial and the date. He was a man of historical turn of mind, and bore in mind many reminiscences which he received from those older. This yard, however, has never been private property until 1868 when George Thompson gave a deed of it to the town and right of way to the highway, in consideration that the town would maintain the fence and two gates leading to it. Prior to 1868 it was in the deed of the farm now owned by George Thompson though with a reservation that it was to be used as a public burial place, and that the owner was permitted to now the grass, or pasture the same with sheep, or such stock as would not deface the premises. This yard comprises an acre of ground. It was an excellent labor in Mr. Thompson to deed it to the town, and the community at large have many thanks to give Mr. Thompson for the manner in which the yard has been kept for some forty years. The land is in good repair, it is pleasantly situated, though it may be inconvenient to reach. It contains 160 head stones, but there are many more burials. This yard is the resting place of many of the pioneer of the town in that vicinity. In this yard are buried the Dressers, the Bloods, the Chamberlans, the Cleavlands, the Conants, the Clemences and Fessendons, and many others of less numerous families. Many who are buried here had an extensive influence in the early affairs of our town, and to them we own much for their energy and zeal in preparing the way for us.

Capt. Richard Dresser, the "District clerk" (Town) for some years at the formation of the town, died August 27, 1797 at aged 82 years-Lieut. John Dresser the owner of the ground died January 24, 1789 aged 73. By the records of the town we learn that John Dresser Jr. was chosen "grave digger for the South burial place" March 7, 1770. Also at the town meeting held April 14, 1808, Moses Dresser Jr. was voted sexton for the South burial place.

CHARLTON NORTH-SIDE CEMETERY

Concerning the origin of this yard we are as yet in the dark. It is on the land which originally belonged to the Wheelock family, who settled in that section. The north part of the town was quite thickly settled at an early date, hence we think if the date be found it would confirm our impression that this is one of the oldest burial places in the town. The land may have been given by Jonathan Wheelock and permissions for burials continued by Mr. John Wheelock, who died in 1816. The heirs of John Wheelock gave further permission for the enlarging of the yard, and it was only a few years since that it passed into the full possession of the town. Since that time an enlargement has taken place, and the grounds repaired and beautified. A little outlay of time and means every season would make this a beautiful yard. Of late years there have been some new monuments which have added much to the general appearance. Among them can we especially mention the Bacon monument, erected by the descendants of Deacon Daniel Bacon who died in 1813. Also the Levi Hammond monument, and the one in the family lot of our citizen Samuel Rich. In this yard are buried the Lambs, the Bacons, the Hammonds, the Stones and Wheelocks, the Davis', the Tuckers, and Marbells, the Williams' and Pratts. And in the back part of the cemetery there are many unmarked graves. If we could only know the names of those buried there no doubt we would find many names among us of today. It is a sorry fact that so many of our early prominent citizens have unmarked graves. The earliest marked grave we found in the yard was that of Mrs. Esther Hammond, in 1762, the first wife of Ebenezer Hammond, the grandfather of our aged citizen Samuel Hammond. There must have been earlier burials than this.

Capt. Israel Waters who died in 1823, was buried here. He carried on quite an extensive tannery at the North-Side. The monument over his remains bears this inscription: "Erected by the Trustees of Leicester Academy, as a token of respect to the deceased for his great liberality to that Institution." David Dunbar, a soldier of the Revolution, is also buried here. He was quite a prominent man in all church work of this locality. In 1825, when General LaFayette made his tour through the States, he was greeted by Mr. Dunbar, an old friend and companion in arms, in words of hearty welcome. Mr. Dunbar died quite suddenly on New Year's eve, 1827, at the age of 80 years. Ebenezer Davis finds a resting place in this cemetery. At the time of his death he was among, if not the wealthiest, landholder in Worcester county. He was in the French war, and during a portion of the Revolutionary war supplied a portion of the army, at various points, with beef. He was an intelligent man and ever active for the interests of the town. He held many offices of trust in gift of the people. He was one of the founders of the Baptist church at the North-Side; and in 1779, being converted to Universalism, became on of the early and earnest advocates of it in Charlton. Accounts of Mr. Davis are found in Ammidown's Historical Sketch of Charlton, and in George Davis' Historical Sketches of Sturbridge and Southbridge. He died in 1816 at the age of 79.

Elder James Boomer, so long pastor of the Baptist church, lies buried in this yard. He became a resident of Charlton in 1804, and lived here until his death in 1837. He is spoken of by aged citizens as being an earnest, hardworking man, who, to gain a livelihood, labored on week days on his farm, and on Sunday preaching in the church at North-Side and elsewhere. His daughter, Mrs. Ruhimah Hammond, is still loving at the Hammond homestead in town, at the age of 80 years. The following is the inscription upon the tombstone of Elder Boomer: "Rev. James Boomer, died February 25, 1837, aged 78 years. The gospel that he preached to others was his support in sickness and in death. To my children, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves and your children.

God has laid up in Heaven for me
A crown which cannot fade,
The Righteous Judgment at that great day
Will place it on my head.

THE CHARLTON CENTRE YARD
(Bay Path Cemetery)

From a vote found in the town records of March 12th 1764, it was decided to accept an acre of ground "a little south-east of Ebenezer McIntire's barn," for a yard for the district to bury therein their dead. This yard was needed. This hill was declared by a commission selected by the town to be the centre of the town; and the citizens thought it proper to have a place in close proximity to bury their dead. The other yards were too far distant. Mr. McIntire had previously given land for the town church; and now again he was prompt in being generous. He gave land at the outset on the road leading west to Rev. Warrant Fiske's, just in the rear of the residence of Wm. A. Weld. The first grave was dug for a little child, a baby brother of Joel Parker, who died some years since quite aged. When the time came to bury the child, the grave was filled with water; and on consultation it was thought advisable to change the location; thereupon, Mr. McIntire offered another acre of land on the east side of the road, the present north-west corner of the yard. This account of the first grave and change of locations came to the author, from Mr. Albert McKinstry of Southbridge, who received it from one, who received it from Mrs. Madden a sister of Ebenezer McIntire. This first thought of plot of ground is still quite springy, and damp though cultivation has improved it much.

The original acre of the present cemetery was soon filled with graves, and in 1810 or '12 an enlargement was needed. The original road from Oxford came directly up the hill, near the road from Dudley to the road leading west from the Congregational Church, hence the house of Mrs. Clarissa Case was on one of the four corners. On the north-west corner of these four, stood the tavern of Ebenezer McIntire, which was the great resort for all the citizens. For some reason, prior to this century, this road from the east was changed, bearing to the south-west, and entering the highway leading south near the plain entrance of the present cemetery. To enlarge the cemetery required a change in this road once more, therefore the road was closed from the present lower entrance, and the highway was made the north boundary of the original acre, as it is today. The cemetery was enlarged on the south and east side the south boundary being near the main front entrance. The remains of this highway through the cemetery are quite visible today. To the original acre, there were two entrances, one midway in front, and the lower one just back of the first tomb. At the time of this enlargement, there must have been quite an interest in the yard. At this time Daniel Alexander erected a tomb for his wife, who had died two or three years previous. This was the first tomb, and is nearest the road. Mr. Alexander died in 1831 aged 89. The tomb now is in the care of Mrs. Joshua Vinton of Dudley. In 1812 Mr. Rufus Wakefield, a brother in law of Gibbs Dodge, Esq., took a contract to build eight tombs for prominent citizens in town. They were built altogether and in the same manner with the exception of two or three doors. These tombs belonged to Salem Towne; Wm. S. Welds; Gen. John Spurr; John Stevens; John Rich; and two other families whose names were not inscribed upon the doors. A few yeas later on the death of his wife in 1819, Mr. Gibbs Dodge, built another tomb, which makes the full complement of tombs. That one owned by Wm. S. Welds was sold to Harvlin Towne, in part, for the entombing of his father and mother, though he, as we have stated built for himself a tomb near the depot.

The old families buried in the yard at the Centre are numerous. They are among the upright ones of the town, We can name the Phillips, the Nichols, the Harwoods, the McIntires, the Townes, and Welds, the marbles, the Ryders, the Wards, The Burde (missing text here) and Lamsons. There are many more whom we might notice but whose families are not so numerous.

Rev. Caleb Courtis the first town minister is buried in this yard. He was settled over this town from 1762 to 1776. He was quite an active, public spirited man, and in those spirited times often came in contact with the minds of others. After the dismissal from the pastorate he remained a citizen of the town until his death in 1802. During the Shay rebellion he took a zealous part, and we understand offered a brief imprisonment in consequences. He represented the town in the provincial congress at Watertown in 1775.

One fact is strange that after the generous deeds of Ebenezer McIntire, we who are enjoying the blessings of our common and other gifts of his are not permitted to know the whereabouts of his resting place. The tradition among his descendants was that it was in the first tier of graves fronting the road leading to the south, acting upon this, his descendants have staked out some unmarked graves and an unclaimed lot, as the one most probably which belonged to the Ebenezer McIntire family. And after this warning has been give for a sufficient time, and the plot is not claimed positively by any one else, we learn that a monument will be erected to the memory of the donor of the cemetery and the common.

Announcements

Forms and Documents FAQs Links